I went into the hospital around 10 at night because I was having really bad back pain. I didn't think I was in labor but a few of my friends did and said I should go to the hospital. I figured they would send me home after they checked me out. When I went to the doctor on Monday I was dilated to a 4. I figured the hospital wouldn't send me home if I was at a 4 but not really in labor. They hooked me up to the monitor and it showed me having contractions but they were not strong enough to make me dilate. I also mentioned to them that on monday night I had to change my pajama bottoms twice because I felt a little wet, like i peed my pants. So when I told them that they decided to run a certain test that would show if my water has broken or not. Sure enough it was broken so they had to admit me. I went up to the labor and delivery room around midnight. The nurses started me on Pitocin to help increase my contractions. I wasn't feeling anything. They increased the strength every half hour or so and still nothing. The doctor came in around 8 in the morning to say hello and he said to increase it again. I gradually started to have some painful contractions. Then around 10 I told them I was ready for a epidural. I figured I should of dilated at least to a 6 or 7 by then. The doctor came back in the room around 10 and he checked to see where I was at. Only a 5. What? I was getting discouraged. When he was checking me he said he noticed I had a bulge of water still. So he popped it. It all gushed out. He then said he felt like my water just broke with him breaking it and he didn't really think it had a leak in it starting on Monday like we thought. He told me I should start having strong contractions now and the process should speed up. He was right. I got my epidural around noon. What a relief that was. I was having very strong contractions and I felt nothing at all. Steven kept asking me, honey do you feel that one? I would tell him nope, not at all. Then around 1:30 the nurse came rushing in and said I think by the look of these contractions your ready to push. So she checked me and i was at a 10. So from noon to 1:30 I went from a 5 to a 10. She ran out and got the doctor. Thank goodness he was hanging out in the hall way. He came in and they all got everything ready. Around 1:45 or so I pushed for the first time. Her head and half of her face came out with that one push. Then he told me to wait for the next contraction to push again. Well that never happened because she decided she wanted out. So she slipped the rest of her body out. I was done. It was so quick. She weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces and was 20 inches long. She is so cute and we all just can't get enough of her. Her face got pretty bruised up since labor was so quick. It is now almost all faded. She has alot of straight jet black hair. We had to stay for 2 days just so they could watch her since they were unsure if my water did have a leak since Monday. There is a greater chance of infection the longer you go with your water breaking and not delivering. The nurses drew her blood and it came back perfect so they didn't need to do an IV. I am trying to breastfeed and that is a work in progress. She has a great suck, but it's just a matter of producing enough for her. She wants to suck all day long. When we left the hospital she was at 6 pounds 5 ounces, so they told me I need to supplement with formula. I am giving her a few formula bottles a day now to try to get her weight up. She also has jaundice that didn't get better when we left so she now has to use the bili lights each night for a few nights. Life is good. We are so happy she has finally joined our home. Our family is now complete. 4 kids is what I have always wanted.
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Introducing....Brynlee Rayelle Durham
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Congrats Ash. I'm so happy for you!!
she is such a precious baby girl! thanks for sharing your experience with us :)
*This is Lizzie in SC by the way*
i added you to my followed blogs :)
Congratulations! You have one beautiful family!
Post a Comment