Friday, April 25, 2008

GI Doctor update



For those of you that don't know, Isaiah has had issues since birth with tolarating his formula's. When he was a few weeks old, the doctor changed him from enfamil to enfamil lactose free because he started to get very fussy and spitting up alot. He was on that formula for awhile,but did not help, so she switched him again to good start, after a few weeks, no results, so she said let's try the soy carnation. So we bought that one, then his poop became very hard balls, and his little stomach was very tight, so again we switched him to nutramigin. Nutramigin is very expensive and she thought it would work. So we bought that formula, a few weeks passed and he seemed even worse, so I decided on my own to put him on enfamil gentle ease. He was on that for about a month and a half. His poop finally seemed to be normal. He was getting a little better in the fussiness stage. I just thought he must have colic. Well 2 weeks ago, he developed thrush, so we took him in on Monday to the Doctor, she gave him nystatin. On Sunday night prior he started getting really fussy again. So Monday I had her look in his ears to make sure he didn't have a ear infection. The whole time we were in the room, poor Isaiah screamed. The doctor and I had to yell to hear each other. She was watching him, and he would arch his back and ball his little fist, then spit up. He spit up about 3 times while in the room. She said, Ashlee I hate to say this put I think he has a problem with the formula. I thought, oh gosh, what now. She said she wanted to switch him AGAIN to a formula called pregestimil. She said it was very expensive, but it was a very good formula. She also wanted to give him a prescription for zantac. She thought that would help his little belly. She gave me samples of the formula, and off we went. I started both of them that night. Within a day he seemed alot more relaxed and alot happier, but then something new started. He would be sleeping any time of the day, and he would wake up flaring his arms and feet. We would go running over to him, and he had the look on his face like he couldn't breath. We would pick him up, pat his back and say it's ok Isaiah, then he would let out a scream and spit up formula out his little nose and mouth. That would happen at least twice a day. So by day 3, I called the doctor, let her know what was happening. She said, Ashlee you need to take him to phx childrens hospital now to get evaluated. I thought , are you kidding, is it that serious. So i packed up his stuff, and drove to the ER at phx childrens. My father in law met me there since Steven was working. They evaluated him, and just diagnosed him with REFLUX. They gave him another prescription for Reglan. They also said he needs to get into a GI doctor. So when I got home, I called the GI doctor, there wait was 2 months away. I thought, great I have to deal with this for 2 more months before anybody sees him. I called his regular pediatrician and told her what they wanted us to do. She said, no he can't wait 2 more months, I will call that office now and say its an emergency. The GI office called me back and said ok we have an appt Friday April 25. Mind you, they called me on Wednesday the 23, so that was awesome work. We scheduled his appt for 10:30. I was so excited to take him to hopefully get to the bottom of what is going on with my poor little baby.

Today we went to see the GI doctor at phx childrens hospital. He was very good. He asked for Isaiah's little life history so far. He was amazed at how many different formulas he has had in such a short time. He said it diffently sounds like reflux. He wanted to order a endoscopy and colonoscopy to see if he was having a milk protein allergy. That would explain everything! I said, yes lets get it done. If he does not have a allergy, then he would just have reflux i guess, and we would have to deal with that. The other thing he was concerned about was his weight. When I took him to his pediatrician 2 weeks ago he was 11 pounds 5 ounces, then at the Er he was 11 pounds 2 ounces, and now today he was 11 pounds 1 ounce. So he is losing weight. I didnt realize that, so I was concerned as well. He has always ate very good. He loves his food. Being only 5 pounds 14 ounces at birth, he was looking like he was gaining great. But now instead of being in the 10 percintile for weight, he is below the 5. Not sure if it is because he spits up so much, and now has been having loose stools the last few weeks. So they worked him in tohave the procedure done this coming monday at 2:30. We have to be there at 12:00. He can't have anything to eat after 8 in the morning. They will give him a iv to knock him out, then the procedure will last about 45 minutes. Pray for our little guy that everything will go smooth, and we will finally get some answers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ashlee,
My prayers are with Isaiah always and you and Steven as well. I know it's hard right now but remember to take care of yourselfs as well. Hopefully on Monday the Doc's will be able to give you some news as to what's wrong and the plan to help lil man. Please keep me updated. My prayers, thoughts, and love will be with you guys on Monday.
Love & Friendship
T

Jon and Lara Stowell said...

Wow I didn't know all that was going on he seems like such a happy baby. Hope everything goes well. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

That is so sad! Sorry its taken me so long to comment. The last time I went on I didn't have time to read through it so I just watched your video. So the next time I looked I just figured it haden't been updated and forgot to look lower. I didn't realize you guys were going through all this. I really hope Monay went good for you guys. Have you heard any results yet? Do you feel like Isaiah is going better? Im sure something good will come out of these test. At least you'll know whats wrong. Good luck with everything. You are in my prayers as well.

Ma'ama said...

Ashlee and Steven,
Our love, prayers and concern are with all of you. It is the hardest to go through pains and trials with your babies, no matter the age. We pray Isaiah is improving and that the procedures gave the Drs. results so they know how to treat his reflux. Did the thrush get better? We love you. The video is darling. He is so cute! Love,Aunt Pat